Sleepover hours in the aged, residential care and disability care industry

Recent changes to work visa policy mean that persons working in the aged, residential care or disability care industry are able to work sleepover hours in some instances.

Essential Skills work visa holders are now able to work sleepover hours if they:

  • currently work in the aged, residential care or disability care industry; and
  • work at least 30 hours per week at the pay rate specified on their work visa; and
  • are allowed to sleep during the overnight work; and
  • are paid at or above the minimum wage for any sleepover hours.

This will be good news for many migrants working as caregivers, personal care assistants and disability care workers.

If you have any questions about this recent policy change, please get in touch today!



Work visa changes

On 1 November 2021, a new work visa, the Accredited Employer work visa, will be introduced. The Accredited Employer work visa will replace six current work visas including the Essential Skills work visa.

The new work visa process will have three steps:

  1. Employer check – The employer must apply for and obtain accreditation
  2. Job check – The employer must demonstrate that there are no New Zealanders available to fill the role, that they are offering the market rate for the role and the terms and conditions comply with employment law
  3. The migrant check – The migrant worker applies for the Accredited Employer work visa

The employer must obtain accreditation before the migrant will be able to apply for an Accredited Employer work visa. Employers will be able to apply for accreditation from September 2021.

More details about the changes will be released over the coming months.

New border exemption

Partners and children of workers employed in critical health services are now eligible to request an exemption to travel to New Zealand. To be eligible for this exemption:

  • You must be outside of New Zealand and wishing to travel to New Zealand
  • You must be the partner or dependent child of a work visa holder in New Zealand
  • The work visa holder must have a visa which specifies they must work in a critical health service

Critical health services include caregivers along with registered health practitioners, ambulance workers and others.